Sunday, June 7, 2009

Beverage Explosion!

Holly and I went out yesterday, and something happend to me that has never happened in my whole life (thank goodness).

Holly and I went to WalMart in Manassas, and I had a few things in my cart, and happened to go past a display of wine coolers. I grabbed a 4 pack of fuzzy navels, and there must've been a loose bottle on the shelf that wasn't where it could be easily seen. Anyway, as I lifted the  pack from the shelf, a bottle hit the floor with the sound of a gunshot, sending wine cooler and shattered glass shards in a spectacular explosion! 

First of all, I didn't get hit by any flying glass. But I got soaked instantly with 12 ounces of orange and peach liquid, followed by lots of Coca Cola! It took me a second to realize that although I got an initial drenching, that I was also standing in a continuing shower.

I had a 2 liter bottle of Coke in the basket, and it now had a knife-size shard of glass sticking out of it, witch was quickly expelled by the spray of pressurized soda from the bottle. The only thing I could think of to do was remove the bottle from the cart and set it down where the spray was hitting the shelf and creating a small puddle on the floor rather than soaking everything in sight.

A woman who works at WalMart assured me that it happens all the time, and that I shouldn't worry about it. Well, it may happen all the time, but I've never done anything like this before! I was thoroughly embarrassed, and soaked!

And I was sticky for the rest of our trip, until I got home. My clothes were wet, my hair was wet, and everything in the cart got at least a light spray.

After I had a chance to calm down, I realized that I was really lucky that none of the shrapnel hit me in the face, and especially that it spared my eyes.

Usually, I enjoy excitement, but not this kind!


Holly stopped off at the Textile Museum on her way over to meet my friend, Betsy, and pick up the fleece I bought. I couldn't wait to see it because the only description I had of it was that it was grey, and that the sheep's name was Daisy. The color of a fleece is hard to judge until it's washed, but it appears to have a white undercoat (that's very crimpy and fine) with a black outer coat. Which means that I can make something that's fulled, and warm, with what will look like a black mohair haze. If I want, I should be able to dye it to whatever light color I want.

First things first. I have to wash it. Which will be smelly and messy. But ultimately worth it.

I'm thinking about what I can make with it, but any concrete plans will have to wait until it's washed. Then I'll see the real weight, once the lanolin and dirt are washed out.


Next Saturday is the Potomac Celtic Festival! It looks like Holly and I will be going together. 

Everett has to be out of his old house on Saturday, and into the new one. So, it looks like he and Jeff won't be going with us. Holly asked him anyway, and I don't think she's gotten a reply, but I've moved before, and it's not fun! Or quick. Or easy. Three years ago, I was the one that missed the Celtic Festival because I was moving. It was awful!

I hope you've been having a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I finally got ahold of Everette on the phone, and good news. He asked me if we were going to the Celtic Festival and he wants to go!