Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Happy Autumn Equinox!

Happy Autumnal Equinox!

Today is the Autumnal Equinox, or the first day of Fall to all of us.

There's a strange story that says that you can balance an egg on it's end on either of the two equinoxes, and you can read all about it here. Whatever you choose to do to celebrate, the day and night will be in a balance today, with light and dark taking up an equal part of the day. From here, it can only get darker each day until around Christmas, when prayers, feasting (or fasting) and arcane rites will persuade the sun to come back (with luck).

Which reminds me that I have to be really busy on planning and making Christmas presents! I hope you've got it all organized! Speaking of which, I'll finish the first green sock for Holly today and get started on the second one! Only 3 more socks to go, and then two pair of purple ones for her birthday, which is three days after Christmas.

**************************

Well, I feel like I'm about to go over the falls in a barrel again. John sent me some photos (black and white, natch) for the covers of the third and last Steve Canyon DVD last night! I started them downloading and went to watch TV, then checked the computer later and turned it off. This morning, I checked the photos, and, as usual, they're great! I have a batch of things lined up to do today, so I'll be busy, but I can't wait to start work on them. They're going to be beautiful!

If you click on the link above, it'll lead you to a post on John's blog which has links to more info on Doug Drexler's blog about Steve Canyon and the DVD, plus links to an article Doug did about me.

****************************

While John was sending me the photos for the DVD, he also sent a really bad scan of a photo he took of me years ago.


A while ago, I asked John for an opinion on my blog, and he said that he would probably want to read my blog even if he hadn't known me for so long. I asked what I could do to improve my blog, and he said I should write about things that had happened to me and things that I'd done.

So, here's one of them, which is an explanation of the photo.

Years ago (in about 1977?) John and I belonged to WSFA (Washington Science Fiction Association), which may (or may not, depending on who you talk to) be the oldest science fiction club still in existence. It was incorporated as a nonprofit organization, I think. I'm not a lawyer, but that's the way I remember having it explained to me.

Anyway, after years of having Disclave (a science fiction convention) and other events, WSFA had built up more money in it's treasury than it should for a nonprofit, and the IRS was beginning to make threatening noises about it. So, during a meeting, we put up several propositions for ways to use some of the money, and get them off our back. There was a vote, and we chose to rent a tall ship for a day, and go for a sail on the Chesapeake! Aha! Now the photo is beginning to make some sense!

So, John and I set out in my MGB GT for Annapolis and the docks. During a scenic ride, John was busy singing and refining a song he had written called "Gillilands Isle." I'm sure you can imagine the tune, if you think about it for a moment. The name in the title referred to Alexis Gilliland, who is a science fiction writer, member of WSFA, a friend, and whose name happened to fit well into a nautical-sounding song, with just a bit of tweeking. The link above, by the way, is to Wikipedia, but if you want to see more about the real Alexis, check here. He's a fabulous cartoonist! I remember going out for donuts with WSFA, and watching Alexis draw on the napkins.

Well, we had our day of sailing on the Chesapeake, forming up in lines to haul sails up and down, and generally having a fabulous time. John took the opportunity to get up and sing his song, and a good time was had by all. It was one of those long, lazy days where not much happens, but it's all fun, interspersed with frantic ship handling activities. I brought along a camera, and John and I put it to good use.

The photo above was scanned from a 110 negative, so it's not so good, but does convey the general idea. John thinks he can scan it better. I think he should go to WalMart, get them to print the neg and scan the print.

While I was looking stuff up for all this, I came across the Science Fiction Fan Dictionary, which will explain all the terms used by SF fen. If you happen to be a fan, you will enjoy reading it! I liked it so much that I put a permanent link to it in the sidebar so you can read it in the future.

****************************

Well, new shows tonight include: Warehouse 13 and The Forgotten. Warehouse 13 is on all day today, the whole first season in it's entirety!

The Forgotten is a show I haven't heard much about, but it sounds like it's got a good premise and has the potential to be a great show. All we can do is tune in and see. It stars Christian Slater, so it can't be all bad.

****************************

Well, the book version of Flashforward is being held at the library for me, so I'd better get going and walk over there and get it.

Have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment