Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!


Above is a knited Celtic knot. Well, actually, it's a Viking Saint John's cross, which is a happiness symbol, but then, I suspect that the Celts got their knots (or at least some of them) from the Vikings. Read the history of Dublin as an example.

Here's some Celtic music, because you should not go through a whole St. Paddy's Day without some Celtic music.



And some more knitted knotwork:







If you look at the cross above, you'll see that the design comes right off the surface into drawstrings that are used to change the sleeve from flared to gathered, with a ruffle.





And I'm working on a blue version of the cabled mobius hat above, with a pattern that will be for sale soon along with accompanying accessories like a scarf, cowl and maybe mitts.

I wanted to put something Celtic and decorative up here in honor of the day, and I thought this would be more fun for you knitters.

I wanted to list some Celtic movies that are on today, but there don't seem to be any except for some really bad horror leprechaun movies on Syfy. I was hoping to get to see The Quiet Man, the original Luck of the Irish,  or even Darby O'Gill and the Little People. History International has a batch of factual stuff about the Irish on tonight, though, although that's the best I could find.

I must be getting old. I can remember (within the last 10 years) when there were Irish movies on for a week before St. Paddy's Day.

Have a fabulous day! Drink some green beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment