Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Continuing Story of the Celtic Sweater Disaster

Well I had mostly finished the Celtic Sweater a while ago.

Again.

But I still wasn't happy with it.

I'd been thinking about it for a while, and Monday night I finally had enough of it and frogged the whole thing!

Actually, that sentence sounds so simple, and quite unlike the reality involved.

I started at 6:30 pm, and worked pretty steadily until 12:30 am, and had frogged all but the hood and one of the shoulder tabs.

You see those things in cartoons where somebody grabs one strand of yarn from a sweater, yanks, and the person wearing it whirls around and the whole sweater comes undone.

It doesn't work like that in real life.

But lets start back at my starting point on Monday.

Here's the Saint John's cross on the upper back:


Here is the front button band showing the button loops:



The sleeves each had a small Saint John's cross with the bottom of the cross coming right off the surface and going into ties that thread through the eyelets you can see here:


Here's a photo of the other sleeve with the ties through the eyelets:


The full sleeves can be tied to minimize drafts and to create a ruffle around the wrist.

Each side has a large triangular panel inserted to provide fullness over the hips and below. The cable you can see at the top of the photo ends at the bottom at about the waist. There's a cable just like it on each shoulder, and two of the lines of the cable go down the front and back of the shoulder opening, join at the bottom (under the arm) and pick up two more lines to make the cable, which then partially continues on each side of the insert.


I thought it would be a good idea to preserve it for posterity on my new camera before ripping it all out.

And here's what it looked like when I was through.


I decided to keep the hood, and I already have one of the shoulder strap cables reknitted and am working on the left front down to the armhole. Next, I'll do the other sleeve strap, the other front down to the armhole, and then the back down to the armhole (with another Saint John's cross), where all the parts will be joined under the arms. Somewhere along the line, I'll pick up and knit the sleeves, which I'm going to do slightly differently, and then just keep going down to the bottom of the sweater.

I'll take photos along the way.

*********************

I have really been enjoying my new camera. My other (good) camera does close-ups reasonably well, but the new one does them even better, and has a higher resolution. I took this photo (just 'cause I could) on my walk over to the library today.


I really love this camera!

*************************

One of the things I was taking back to the library was Avatar. My DVD player is plugged in, and working fine, and I finally got to see the movie!

Wow! I feel like I've actually gotten to travel to another planet! I fell in love with the planet (moon?) just as much as Jake did! If you haven't seen the movie, you should do it right away!

***************************

There are still a few of the summer TV shows that will end next week, specifically, White Collar, Burn Notice, Warehouse 13 and Eureka! Then comes the wait for the new Fall shows.

I'm writing this very late, and I'm going to bed now! Hope you're having a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment