Friday, November 13, 2009

Happy Friday the Thirteenth!


Well, that time has rolled around again. It's Friday the Thirteenth!

This year, we had a Friday the Thirteenth in February, and because it's not a leap year, we also had one in March. We missed it by one day in June when the thirteenth fell on Saturday, and again in August, when it fell on Thursday, but this is the third and final Friday the Thirteenth for this year!

Although most people consider it an unlucky day, there are lucky aspects of the day for everyone, such as special deals on flying and booking a hotel that many people routinely refuse to do on a Friday the Thirteenth.

I could swear that I read somewhere that witches consider Friday the Thirteenth a lucky day, but I can't find any information about it on the internet. It's really surprising not to be able to find some information about something on the internet!

But Crazy Aunt Purl has a post today about Friday the Thirteenth and fear. As usual, she's fun to read.

And today, probably because it's Friday the Thirteenth, the new movie about the end of the world, 2012 will be opening. Find out more about it on io9 here.

I once found a fascinating book called Arachne Rising, about the theory that there had been a thirteenth sign of the zodiac (Arachne), and that it had been eliminated in antiquity, under harsh punishment, to the point that the number 13 has been considered unlucky ever since. Since that sign used a spider as it's symbol, and you would be punished if you kept spiders, it also is supposed to have formed the basis for the fear of spiders. I no longer have the book, but would love to have a new copy for Christmas!

And my grandson-in-law can be happy that he wasn't born a day later, or his birthday would be today!

**************************

I'm almost at the end of the neck part of the wimple. Soon I'm going to have to make up the rest before I can continue. It looks like it did yesterday, only longer.

Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend!

********************

Addition!

I came across an article about the remake of The Prisoner, and I thought you'd be interested! Check it out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment