Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Friday will be Talk Like a Pirate Day, and you can read more about it on the Anticraft blog.

I took the test for the name, and this was the result:



My pirate name is:


Captain Morgan Rackham



Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. You have the good fortune of having a good name, since Rackham (pronounced RACKem, not rack-ham) is one of the coolest sounding surnames for a pirate. Arr!

Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network

Thought I should warn you so that you can get ready.

***************************

In the meantime, I turned in my homework for herbology in the Harry Potter KAL.

We were told to make a washcloth in hemp, or if hemp wasn't available, cotton. This is the result.


Regular readers of this blog (if you're out there, let me know) may remember this yarn from the Douglas Adams Towel Day KAL I was involved in earlier this year. The moss stitch it's knit in matches the border on the towel, and it was made from left over yarn from the towel, so I now have a matched set.

Some of the washcloths were spectacular. If you're on Ravelry, you can see the thread here.

In other knitting-related news on Ravelry, I have gotten into almost an argument about Knit Picks Telemark yarn. It's labeled as sport weight, but it's really like a worsted weight with a bit more twist. You can read about it here. I made a statement, and then got several comments saying that what I said was all wrong, and then repeating what I said to prove I'm wrong.

I'm feeling really bad about this. 

I don't want to argue. 

My last post on the subject pointed out that it is my opinion, based on my experience, and they're not going to change my mind by telling me I'm wrong (especially by repeating what I just said), and I'm not going to discuss it any more. I don't want to be cranky with people, but repeating what I just said to prove I'm wrong is not the way to make me agreeable.

***************************

I tuned into the news last night while it was already in progress. They were talking about a large bank in DC that crashed yesterday and was bailed out by the US Government. I missed a lot of the details, such as which bank. But they ended the news story by saying that the government has bailed out so many banks that there is no more money left in the F.D.I.C.!

So, even if your bank is insured by F.D.I.C., that may not help you if they crash.

Nobody (including the government) seems to have a clue what will happen when the next bank crashes.

Since last night, I heard that another bank crashed yesterday. That may have been in the beginning of the news story I caught. The part I missed by tuning in late.

And in related news, I had some extra money last month, which was lucky, because I had the money to keep my phone from being turned off. So, I spent $100 on that project, and a small amount on a few very inexpensive things I had been wanting for a while. So, I should have had nearly $200 left of the extra money. $100 at the least. But when I went to check this morning, the online section of my bank said I had been overdrawn, and took $100 out of the money I just got from Social Security today.

I have to go back and really read everything and check out what happened. It's possible that I made an arithmetical error, but I don't think so. The company that financed my car has been threatening to (illegally) take money out of my checking account. If that's what happened, they're going to be sorry.

If that's what happened, I won't be having a bank account anymore. I have already been thinking about closing my bank account in an attempt to forestall the personal problems that my bank crashing might create for me.

The reason I didn't check through my account earlier to find out what happened  is because I checked through it carefully less than a week ago, and there were no unusual withdrawals, I checked my arithmetic, etc., before I took out a little money for the Renfair. And because I got so sick to my stomach looking at what little was left that I thought I was going to throw up.

When my stomach settles, I'm going to go through everything and see what happened. In the meantime, I'll be giving up eating for the coming month. Whether I want to or not.

*************************

As far as TV and science fiction are concerned, there's not much on tonight. In fact, there's really nothing at all. I'll be watching Bones, because it's interesting, but it's not science fiction.

The same could be said for tomorrow night. A rerun of Supernatural will be on, and that's always worthwhile.

Monday, Heroes will be back, though! I can't wait! They'll be putting on a recap of previous events before this season starts. Check your local listings!

I need to go, now.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment